How to use Transmedia!

Before starting this project, I had no idea what Transmedia was and how it was used within a classroom. I felt very in over my head when the assignment was given.  I was nervous about telling the story by using a form of technology, and having the students use the information I gave them to make their own connection to the story.

Our group used the book Elmer and Rose, by David McKee to teach students about inclusion. I added a new character, that looks unique and very different from all other birds. The moral of the added story is that Rose learns that animals aren’t defined by what they look like, but instead how they act. Students are able to connect this idea of inclusion to many parts of the story and make up their own story after being given the technology to do so.

What is Transmedia?

Transmedia is taking a story and putting it into many different technology platforms. The students are able to see the most important parts of the story are, and are instructed to take this story and the knowledge they have learned to become active participators.

“There are two components that must be present in transmedia storytelling. 1) Critical parts of the story must be told across multiple story spaces, and 2) there must be active participation on the part of the readers. The roots of transmedia lie in pop culture and in the creation of media franchises. In education, these same techniques can be used to create a powerful connection with curricular content. ” -Laura Fleming

Educators can use Transmedia to tell a story or to teach a lesson to their students. Many forms of technology can be added to the story line in order to make the story interactive for students. Examples of technology that can be used are Breakout games, quizzes, Panoform creations, VR or AR collaborations.

Looking for a way to start, or get introduced to Transmedia? Check this link out!

https://www.edutopia.org/blog/transmedia-digital-media-storytelling-laura-fleming

Take a look at this example of Transmedia. Storytelling and instructing students to make connections to the story and the lesson.

I will continue to use this idea of storytelling through Transmedia to relay stories to my students. I think this is a great idea for younger students, especially since not all students learn the same way. Students will be able to learn in a more well rounded way when they are allowed to use many different outlets to use the information they learning in a story. Just reading a story can be taken to a new level by instructing students to use their writing, creating, and collaborating skills. Students become active participators in the class, instead of the traditional viewer.